Keyword Planner Update
Google’s Keyword Planner continues to evolve and today 9 new additions to the Keyword Planner began rolling out public. These new additions bring some serious enhancements to the Planner giving advertisers deeper insight into data over time, mobile trends, mobile device volumes, the effect of mobile bid adjustments, enhanced location breakdown for sub-geos and more. Each new addition contains an enhanced visual component making data more meaningful at a glance.
Here are the 9 additions in no particular order.
1. Specify a time period. Keyword suggestions and volume estimates will be provided around the time period specified. Included will be a graph that provides a visual of changes over time. Mouse over a bar for details on that months
2. Period of Time Comparison. We have the ability to perform time period comparisons which are also displayed in a visual graph.
- Previous Period: If the date range is set from January 2014 to March 2014 Google will compare and display results for the previous time period October 2013 to December 2013.
- Same period last year: If your selected period is January 2014 to March 2014 Google will compare with January 2013 to March 2013.
- Custom: You create your own custom comparison.
When Compare is set to ON Google will graph the comparison time in a second series for easy visuals.
3. See absolute and relative changes for each ad group and keyword’s volume comparing two periods. You can sort by these columns to understand what keywords are in-flux or on the decline by reviewing total change or percent change.
4. Visualizing mobile trends (below in green) compared to the total volume across all types of devices (below in blue). When each bar is hovered over volumes will be displayed.
5. See breakdowns by device and targeted locations. This feature provides data with a visual graph allowing advertisers to understand the expected contribution from individual devices.
6. Flexible time periods. In addition to daily estimates, you can scale results to get Monthly, Quarterly, or Annual results. Advertisers can also specify the period of time on which the estimates are based.
#1 Estimates are based on expected volume for the selected period.
#2 scale based on the time period.
7. Device segmentation and bid adjustments. See a breakdown of volume estimates by device and get estimates specific to mobile bid adjustments.
Device specific estimate breakdowns. Estimates are based on the baseline bid applied to all devices. Add a bid adjustment and adjustments based on the bid adjustment will be provided.
8. Location breakdowns for sub-geos of your targeted location. If you are targeting an area such as the United States you have the following options:
In Blue: Your Targeted Locations - See estimates for the geographic targeting you have specified.
In Red: Select from one of the automatic breakdowns for further granularity of your targeted location.
9. Visualizations and estimates for sub-geos based on your choice above you will see a visualization depicted below that breaks out locations with volumes. Change your time view as you wish. The example below is for Clicks per quarter.
Some use cases for the above additions are:
- Understanding seasonal fluctuations.
- Compare date range functionality; month over month, year over year, custom ranges and more.
- Identifying mobile trends and opportunities for mobile volume through bid adjustments.
- Understand mobile volume trends over time and breakdown by mobile devices.
- Investigating locations targeting and impact of traffic volumes by location plus identify opportunities to segment locations for better messaging or bid modification.